Saturday, April 14, 2012

Work Expectations and Starting Out


Expectations: 
  •  I have to work 40 hours per week. Each day I have to be at work from 9am - 3pm and I can fill in the rest of my 40 hours at anytime I want.
  •  A major expectation I have in my work place is to manage my time extremely well. Since much of the work I do is independent and long-term projects, I have to be sure that I continuously make progress in ALL my assignments.
  •  I have to wear a suit and tie everyday to work.
  •  I have 3 supervisors: I report to two of them 1-3 times a day (each) and report to their boss about one time a week.

Other Information:
  •  Western and Southern is a very conservative company and it's reflected in my expectations. While I believe that W&S goes very far out of their way to hire people with the highest standard of morals -- people that are incredibly willing to go out of their way to help you -- I find that I am expected to share and ask about personal lives with caution. 
  •  I had an orientation which introduced me to the company. It was half a day long and included a tour, company history, some expectations, and current structure.
  •  I rarely busy, but I always have something to do. Other people would probably say that I'm always busy, but actuaries have very low stress jobs, so even though I do a lot each day, I am almost never stressing over a deadline. If I can't figure something out, most the people around me have the time to help me too.
  •  I love working both as a team and independently. In my job I do mostly the latter, and I wish I did work more work in a team. It seems like most actuarial analyst (actuaries in process of passes of their exams to become a licensed actuary) work mostly with others when they have someone check over their work, or when they are having another actuary teach them something. It seems like being an actuary is 60% work and 40% learning. 
  • I love everything so far! -- I'm so lucky to have this job!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment