Monday, April 30, 2012

Mock Interview with Co-worker and Senior Actuary

Today I had the opportunity to do a mock interview with a co-worker at Western & Southern Life Insurance Company, Isaac. About two weeks ago, I was eating lunch with him and he told me that he was the hiring manager at Lafayette Life Insurance Company, before they were acquired by Western & Southern. Per my request, he looked over my resume and cover letter then, and he was also willing to do a mock interview with me today.

Overall, he said I interviewed very well with a few things I could work on. First off, he said that I could be a little better with my eye contact – I tend to look slightly up and to the left when I think about how to respond to a question. Secondly, he said I shouldn’t be too forward about the possibilities of being hired on my first interview, as I somewhat asked what my chances were of getting the position. Finally, he warned me not to come off too confident, as it could seem arrogant.

This was great advice, as it applies to my current goal of finding a career as an actuary. Two things that could improve all aspects of my future goals is improving my eye contact and remembering people’s names. Further, my future goal of becoming an actuary doesn’t end with finding my future career: becoming an actuary will require extensive study time after work for next 5 years of my life. Isaac helped me realize that making “significant” progress as an actuarial college student isn’t the same as making significant progress towards being an actuary. His advice will help keep my confidence level in-check during my next career interview in May.

There were also things I did do well during my interview. After giving a horrific interview my freshman year in the attempt to become an RA, I really took the time to refine my interviewing skills. The most important thing I learned is to always answer a question through a personal experience. My number one tip would be not only to bring a resume for everyone you might interview with, but bring one for yourself too – that way when you draw a blank on one of the behavior type questions, you’ll have your resume sitting in front of you and you can quickly scan it for an answer.

Rarely will you be interviewed by someone who hasn’t at least glanced over your resume (and cover letter). I’ve spent a ton of time on both and the critique was light. Once again the main point Isaac made was to not to come off too confident. Secondly, Isaac recommended switching my second paragraph detailing my transferable skills, and my third paragraph which talked about my relevant actuarial experience. Obviously I took Isaac up on his advice, and made the appropriate changes.

All in all, I got some very important pointers, which will hopefully sharpen my appeal to future employers. Further, I’m glad that I got some practice before my big interview with an insurance company in May. I also now have a better idea as to how I will be perceived by senior actuaries in the field. Hopefully I will continue to sharpen these skills that ultimately will make a major impact on my life for years to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment